Sunday, November 13, 2005

Decisions. Decisions.

The convergence on our t.v. has been going awry for awhile. I talked to a guy, a friend of someone I work with, who used to fix TV's at an electronics repair shop. Bottom line the part that he thinks it is will be about $300-$700 JUST FOR THE PART. He can install it, but we would have to buy it since he can't front that moolah. Of course. Still we're talking money for the labor too.

Just thinking aloud here...

I know the TV fading fast because it went from a corner of loss of convergence to about 6" off the top in about 6 weeks. At this rate it should be dead by the new year. We have the Sony which is awesome and big enough for the living room. We put the game cube on a seperate tv and the boys can burn out a $50 telly as opposed to a more expensive variety. I don't worry about keeping the GC in one of their rooms since they have to ask permission to use it and it's portable enough to yank out as a consequence. Besides we only have so many rooms in the house and you gotta do what you gotta do.

So I'm wondering what does one do with a gigantic t.v. that the picture is going out on? I have no desire to fix it if it's going to cost near a grand to do so. Our stop-gap repair cost was about $300, maybe $400. Then my herditary cheapness gene kicks in and I hate the idea of parting with such an expensive-at-purchase item. Still when I break it down to the ridiculous it cost us about $40 a month, a little more than a $1 a day, over the course of the last 7 years to own and love the tv.

What to do?

The DHW

2 comments:

Kami said...

Ummm...

I don't know.

Dynila said...

Terrariums :-) (That was for Michelle).

At least you got seven years - we lost our convergence a month after the 2yr warranty expired. $600 later its still not right, apparently dh did irreparable damage trying to fix it himself from hack notes off the web :(

Check into the recycling options. If its dead, its dead, kind of like a puter or a car; at some point you have to run the balance sheet between maintenance v. replacement. I hate to say it, but at this point, I'd replace.

d - who never, ever, ever wants a projection tv again!