Friday, November 17, 2006

8 Years Ago

Today is the anniversary of my last day at a RPJ (Real Paying Job). I was put on bed rest when I was almost 8 months pregnant with my first boy. Since then I've been mostly a stay-at-home-mom. A few years ago I started teaching at a Mother's Day Out program, which is super part time care for moms who are at home, but need time to run errands, visit the chick doctor, go to therapy...whatever. I teach 2 days a week for 4 hours a day. Not exactly paying the mortgage, but Starbucks loves me and my babies got to go to the class for free. I love most of the people I work with and it's fun for me. It's been good.

Lately though, now that both boys are in school all day, I've been thinking about what to with myself. I want to do more than sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "The Wheels on the Bus". Not that painting and Play Doh haven't been oodles of fun, but I got this whole student loan thing going and I sort of feel like I should put that degree and the experience of my past RPJs to good use. Papa and I talked about me going back to work full time and he wasn't all that amped about me and a full time gig. Let's face it, I do most of the house and kid stuff (which is not to any way minimize his household contribution - he totally steps up, he's just not the coordinator) and taking that on for him his akin to a root canal. Besides what a total stress worrying about what to do with the kids when school is out like it will be for 5 days next week. I see parents that have two full time working outside them home jobs lose years of their life worrying about where to stash the kids and how much extra it will cost.

My friend Candy has been leading me in to the VA business for quite awhile and I'm taking the plunge. I'm really excited! I've got the business name, secured the domain name and I'm looking to get my logo done. I'm doing the set up for my website, but I might have someone actually build it for me. I love the idea of owning my own business. We have before, but it didn't work out. Still I learned a ton about running a business and I think it will serve me well this time around. Most importantly for us, Papa is good where he is at and I don't have to worry about bringing in income to eat. I just want to have something to build and improve my quality of life.

So on the anniversary of the day I left a job I start a new adventure. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

-e

1 comment:

Candy said...

WooHoo! Go, go go go! I'm so proud of you!