Monday, September 25, 2006

Volunteeritis

No, not volunteerism. That’s when you find something you believe in and donate your time and talent to the cause. What I’m talking about is the need to volunteer because I’m a control freak. What I’m talking about is a sickness.

Someone is out sick at work and you need a back up? Sure.

The class doesn’t have a room parent? No problem. Oh, both of my kids classes need a room parent? Right on it.

Can I speak at the next meeting? You betcha!

Will I draft the flyer for the upcoming event? Absolutely!

Say it with me, “no, thank you”. Yeah, if I could say that I wouldn’t be here complaining and feeling frenzied right before I have the first of two meetings and picking up an extra shift in an area I don’t usually work.

I do love helping out! I do! Still I know my motives are not completely altruistic. I’m trying to control what I can. Control is my comfort. Not that I want to control other people, just the situation.

I’m working on it.

-e

No comments: