Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Flower When I Grow Up

When I was kid someone once asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said either a lawyer or flower. I never became the lawyer, but I think I still have a good shot at the flower position.

Both my kids have been in school since fall. During this time I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to decide what I will do next. It doesn't help that some people keep asking when I'll go back to work. I know it's expected, but if I'm honest I'm not ready to do it yet. I sort of feel like I deserve a little "rest" time.

Then I wonder what I could do to put my education and experience to work and I feel guilty that I'm not doing whatever that is. The thing is I don't know that I want to do that anymore. I'm slowly coming to the realization that I may have a different calling. One that I would have never predicted so I'm having a hard time accepting it. I actually like working with kids. I feel that I'm doing something worthwhile even in the few hours a week I spend with them. I just never saw myself in that capacity, especially after my own kids were no longer able to benefit from my program. Still I'm here and I'm happy to be here.

Once again, God doesn't call the equipped. He equips the called.

E

1 comment:

Beth said...

We've decided that unless something dire happens for our family we will probably never both work FT.

Honestly I've gone from wanting a "career" someday to being perfectly content with never having one, but realizing I'll probably need to at some point. That's always the way it is. 010