Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Checking Out, Moving On

While I haven't totally made the move I got one step closer to leaving the group I navigated for so long. I went "no mail". That means I no longer get the groups postings. There was a message that really ticked me and it was enough to prompt me to do what I've known I needed to do for awhile. I just needed the motivation.

I don't know why I feel the need to approach this decision as a process...first this step, then this step. It's stupid, I know. It just goes back to that whole I-don't-like-change thing. I feel like going "no mail" will get me used to not being a part of the group. Then once I feel detached enough it will be natural and yet purely administrative to hit the "unsubscribe" button. Making waaaaay to much of this? You bet.

This is a good change though. I need to build more real life relationships and need to build them with people who have similar values. It's not being elitist (hardly! it's not like I'm even in a position to be all exclusionary), but about limiting the type of exposure my kids have to people with vastly differing views. Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to live in a bubble, (and really how can they with Papa's line of work?) but they're still young. Right now it's too confusing and they're not yet equipped enough to discern for themselves.

No comments: